Faith-Focused Addiction Recovery
Renaissance Ranch was built on the idea that renewal, rebirth, and change is possible for all of us. This has a specific spiritual meaning for many of us. Our facility was founded by members of a Christian faith who believe that true healing and peace come through our savior Jesus Christ. We believe that spirituality is an essential part of the recovery process, and we encourage all of our patients to find a connection with a higher power.
We have found that a combination of faith-based treatment used in conjunction with evidence-based therapy gives us the best results with our patients. We respect people of all backgrounds and religions. Our focus is to provide an environment of healing and compassion, allowing people to find a personal path to healing and change.
12 Step Program
Our program follows the pattern of one of the most time-honored approaches to addiction recovery: the 12-step program. Adapting this program and incorporating gospel truths into each step, we help our patients walk through the process of recognizing the problem, taking responsibility, seeking guidance from a higher power, and making positive and lasting change.
Faith Building Treatment
Many of our services are built on principles that are familiar to anyone with a religious background. For example:
- We set aside time for weekly church meetings.
- We focus on family in order to build our patients’ support networks.
- We encourage daily personal meditation, prayer, and scripture study to help patients gain focus and clarity.
- We encourage attendance at a weekly LDS Family Services addiction recovery group, which can continue to be helpful support even after a traditional rehab program is over.
- We invite patients to consult with ecclesiastical leaders in order to get personalized advice and support from an invested spiritual leader.
Boyd K. Packer, a spiritual leader stated, “True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior.” In our professional experience, we’ve found this to be true. And while we never force-feed our patient’s spirituality, we do share our personal experience of truth as we know it, when appropriate.
Christ’s teachings focus around forgiveness and deliverance, but addiction recovery offers a uniquely immediate opportunity to learn the truth of His words ourselves. As Christ states, “He hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised…” Patients who learn to turn to Christ through their recovery testify of the truths in an intensely personal way.
The reason that we believe so strongly that a true understanding of gospel principles leads to powerful results in addiction recovery is because the gospel teaches us about Christ’s redeeming power: the Atonement. No matter what you’ve been through, or how many times you’ve made mistakes, forgiveness, healing, and change are available through the transforming power of the Atonement.
True, lasting change comes through the Atonement of Christ. Not only is there forgiveness and recovery available, but weak things can truly become strong.
Balancing Faith-Based Rehab With Evidence-Based Rehab
Although our faith is infused in everything that we do to serve our patients, we utilize medical and scientific evidence-based methods in order to achieve effective results. Qualified group and individual therapy, medically-certified detox programs, and relapse prevention training are all available at our facility and used in conjunction with faith-building practices.
In order to help patients understand the help that’s available through an understanding of gospel principles, we have a few elements that we consider central to our treatment, including:
- Dedicated time each week for church meetings, and meetings with ecclesiastical leaders.
- Daily time for individual prayer, reflection, and journal-writing.
Part of our Spiritual-Focused addiction recovery program also relies on participation from and healing of the family unit. We believe that recovery is empowered with a knowledgeable and functional support group, and the best resource for that is the family unit. That’s why we offer:
- Family retreats where patients and their loved ones can connect.
- Intensive family therapy to troubleshoot harmful patterns and practice communication and support techniques.
- Monday evenings set aside for family time.