Resources to help you begin your journey:
- Attend Renaissance Ranch Online Family Education Classes
Five of our weekly online classes are open to the public; however, the residential family group is taught by Matt Piper and is a closed group for family members whose loved ones are currently participating in the Men’s Residential treatment center. You are welcome to attend as many of the open classes as you wish and please understand that the more family members (eighteen and older) who attend, according to research, the higher the chances of a more positive outcome for addicted loved ones. Note that classes are taught from a spousal, parental, and personal perspective. We also offer a Women’s support group and a Couples Recovery Group.
Check out our past Quarterly Family Addiction Recovery Webinars and Family Recovery Podcasts to get caught up on important information for family members! The December 2020 Family Recovery Webinar features all of our educators and those new to recovery can learn so much from our awesome class leaders who share their personal family experiences with addiction. Listening to the December webinar may also help you discern which class may be the best fit for your personal family’s needs.
- Family Recovery Tips And Resources
- Personal Study: Recovery Knowledge Is Transformative And Vital
We highly recommend you purchase a personal copy of the workbook, “Healing Through Christ: Hope and Healing for those who have a loved one in addiction” which is available online @ www.healingthroughchrist.org. We also recommend “How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics”. You can access the Al-Anon book through Amazon. These two books are valuable resources for family members (spouses, parents, and friends) with a loved one struggling with addiction. Many family members have expressed deep appreciation for the recovery tools, principles, and practices found within these books.
- Attend Local 12-Step and Al-Anon Meetings
Check out aa.org/al-anon.org or addictionrecovery.churchofjesuschrist.org for online or live meetings in your area.
- Find A Support Person
- Practice Recovery “Dailies”
- Reach Out For Help
Renaissance Ranch Family Group Reading List
Our preferred #1 workbook for family members:
- Healing Through Christ: Help, Hope and Healing for those who have a loved one in addiction (available online @ healingthroughchrist.org; over 131 authors quoted)
- Codependent No More by Melody Beattie
- Al-Anon Daily Readers such as Courage to Change, Hope for Today (access at Al-Anon mtg)
- Alcoholics Anonymous (The Big Book, the first 160 pages)
- CD: Kevin T. McCauley, M.D. “Disease 1, the disease model of addiction-part one for friends, family…” share with all your family! (available online @ www.instituteforaddictionstudy.com)
- Video: Kevin T. McCauley, M.D. “Pleasures Unwoven”, short version available online for free called “Landscapes of the Mind” (www.instituteforaddictionstudy.com)
- A Codependents Guide to the 12 steps: Melody Beattie
- He Did Deliver Me from Bondage by Colleen C. Harrison
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Stephen R. Covey
- The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister
- I Don’t Have to Make Everything All Better by Gary & Joy Lundberg
- Healing the Shame that Binds You by John Bradshaw
- Bradshaw On The Family by John Bradshaw
- Boundaries – Knowing, Honoring, Protecting the Self by Charles Whitfield
Pornography/Sex Addition Specific:
- S-ANON 12 steps, S-Anon International Family Groups, Inc. and ARP 12-step pornography meetings
- He Restoreth My Soul by Donald L. Hilton Jr., MD
- What do I do about Him/Me? By Rhyll Croshaw (Co-Founder of SA Lifeline)
- From Heartache to Healing by Colleen C. and Phillip A. Harrison (husband and wife)